Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Where Do You Want the Couch?

God has given me some very good gifts these past couple weeks.  I've been thinking about funny stories of Pam.  (I like the funny ones especially). So . . . I've been trying to write them down.  I remember when we were new to the school (Valley Christian School).  We were new to everything as we had just moved from Minneapolis to here in April 2004. The school was the first place we made friends.  And Pam was my first friend.  Like I said, we were new to the school and the house.  We didn't even have a lot of furniture.  It was pretty sparse.  But I was happy because we were getting a couch and chair for what we now affectionately call, "the piano room."  I really don't know how this topic came up one morning as she and I scooted Emily and Michaela off into Ms. Wilson's class, but somewhere between the pre-school room and the front doors, exchanging details about what the next seven hours of our day might look like until we met again at 3:00 she learned that I planned on re-scheduling our furniture delivery because it conflicted with Elisa's or Isaac's well check-ups. I know I keep repeating this, but I didn't know her well yet.  I had just met her.  But then she (like I would soon find out was her way) had a solution to the problem.  "I can come wait at your house for the couch while you take the kids to the doctor."  I must have been thinking, "Um.  Okay.  Could you repeat that?  People don't just offer to do things like that for people they just meet."  I really can't remember more of the conversation, but . . . . . somehow, Pam ended up at my house, I believe in my front door for the first time.  I set her up.  I probably made her coffee.  I don't know.  But I was off to the doctor's with my kiddos.  In retrospect, had I known her better I would have sent her to the doctor's with the kids and I would have stayed and waited for the couches!  She would have done it . . . I'm sure.  Well, anyway . . . I was just down on my hands and knees washing the floor around that couch and thought of it.  It made me smile . . . and cry a little . . . mostly smile  . . . and she was pregnant too, with Paige.  And she had Logan.  He must have been so little.  I wonder if he just played in the living room while she waited?  So, the end of the story is that I came home and my couch and chair had been delivered and Pam was on her way back to Canneday Court.  I love that couch.  Pam and I have had a lot of coffee and conversations on it since that very "weird day."  :)  I sure miss her a lot.  And life is sure different now.  But I still love her.  And just thought some of you wouldn't mind a story.  I hope it makes you smile too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment